Sunday, June 14, 2009

"Look of the Day!", or "It's Flag Day!" :)



"Tis the Star-Spangled Banner. Oh, long may it wave. O'er the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave!"

Flag Day.

With today being "Flag Day" here in the U.S., and because Independence Day is soon approaching, Summer is perhaps the one season out of the entire year when I feel the *most* patriotic. (Yes, I know; bad me. Being an American, I should be patriotic 365/24/7, and not take for granted things like freedom, liberty, and my country.) But during the Summer months, I try to remember sacrifices made for people like myself. I try to be a more grateful & humble person, and yet be proud of my roots. For example, I try to not RP the whole "anglophile" thing so much. (Not that RPing makes us evil, for why should we deny ourselves the experience of delving into a culture, or a genre, that's by its nature foreign to our mundane lifestyles.)

Earlier today I was trying to recall my earliest RL memory, and finding it rather difficult. Think about it. How far back can you remember about your childhood? Can you remember being born?? I suspect not for most of us. It's all a bit existential in a "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern" kind of way. (Yes, I know I said I wasn't gonna refer to Brit culture so much =P)

Actually, thinking back, I was surprised to recall quite a bit from my RL childhood. One of the memories that stuck in my mind is going to a Bicentennial parade in 1976 as a very little girl, with my Mom, Nana and Pop Pop, pushing me in my coach decorated with flags and ribbons. I remember the city bedecked in a lot of red, white and blue: Stars were stenciled in the streets along the parade route, poles were painted, and everywhere you looked, hung about and waved, were bunting and flags....

Especially this one:



Fast forward 30-somethin years to my fave virtual playground, and I stumble on the above flag, made by Bruce Freelunch :) In true Viola style, I freak out from the crossover experience and the memories that flooded in like movie flashback scenes. Checked Bruce's profile to see if he had a store around to direct you to, but I couldn't find one, so I sent him a Notecard, thanking him for sparking happy childhood memories for me. Hopefully he receives it.

The rest of this outfit was put together because of its squee-worthy elements, and due to my Uncle Sam-esque mood:



Credits:

Uncle Sam Top Hat: A Touch Of Ireland
Bracelets: (Dahlinks)
Necklace, Earrings and Belly Ring: **Solange!!
Red Sparkler: !Rebel Hope
Wedges: J's
Bikini Top & Bottoms: Adam n Eve
Short Shorts: :STELLAR DESIGNS:
Last pic shot "on location" ;) at Midnight Lotus

No comments:

Post a Comment